Monday, July 27, 2015

Get to Know Me Monday: Books

I decided last week that because I've been absent from the blog for so long to re-introduce myself through a "Get to Know Me Monday" post each week, and by going through the alphabet!  This week is the letter B: all about books!

I love to read.  I come from a family of teachers, one of them being a Doctor of English who taught in  college and they all love to read.  They passed that love on to me!  And I'm so grateful because I love getting lost in a good book.  I've been known to finish a book in a day!  (Well, that was back in the day before I had a toddler to run after...)  So, here are a list of my favorite books, not in any particular order.


via

Pride and Prejudice: by Jane Austin
I love everything about this book.  The style of language, the strong female character, and of course the love story.  I'll be honest and say I had to re-read it because of how it's written, but every time I re-read it, I pick up on something I missed before because I was so caught up in trying to read it correctly.  And oh, Mr. Darcy, I am a huge fan.  Is it possible to fall in love with a fictional character? Because if so, it's definitely him.


via

The Harry Potter Series: by J.K. Rowling
I can't pick just one.  These books were coming out every few years when I was growing up and I would go to the midnight book reveals to get my book, stay up all night reading, finish the book and be heart broken that I had to wait another few years for the next one to come out!  These are my go-to books if I can't find anything new to read or just need something to tide me over.  The movies are so well-made, but they are nothing compared to the books.  Everyone should read them.  My husband asks me questions all the time about things from the movies and I tell him: "read the books!"


via

The Outlander Series: by Diana Gabaldon
I am a late bloomer to the Gabaldon train.  She's been writing this series since the early 90's (I think.) and the content was way too mature for me at that point, but a colleague introduced me to these a couple years ago and I am hooked.  1940's Claire (a nurse from WWII) falls back in time (stay with me folks...) and meets/falls in love with a Scottish highlander Jamie Fraser.  All of the books are based on their adventures (including sex and romance, ladies...!)  Jamie is another character I swoon over, although I wouldn't want to meet some of Gabaldon's more hard-core followers because they might challenge me on who has a right to Jamie's fictional love, haha! ;)  Starz has just wrapped up the first season of Outlander, based on these books, and they did a fantastic job.  I'm so ready for season 2 to start.  And the best part is, she's still writing this series!  So more Jamie and Claire for all of us!

These are just a few of my favorites, but what should I add to my collection?  Anything I absolutely can't miss?  I'm up for reading anything: fiction, historical fiction, biographies, classics...give me some good ones, y'all!

Missed the previous Get to Know Me post?  Check it out here.

No comments :

Post a Comment